Naturally they will be at the game inside Lucas Oil Stadium, along with thousands of other fans. Of course they will be in and out of Indianapolis International Airport, and at the local top hotels, including Conrad Hilton, JW Marriott, Hyatt Regency, The Canterbury, The Columbia Club and Omni Severin. But guaranteed the security is amped up too high for you to sneak in and snap a photo.
So, where do you go to find a celebrity or pro ball player during their down time? Think about what you would do while in a town for a few short days on business. That's right...business. Although most of the athletes (some are from other teams or non-football athletes) and many of the famous people are here for pleasure, many are also here for business purposes. (Think of making public appearances, parties and ceremonies as part of their job.) Also, consider what you would want to see while in a strange town and what you would need to do while away from home.
Eating, shopping and working out are activities most people do while staying away from home, for whatever reason. Sightseeing, definitely, but food, souvenirs and exercise are necessities to everyone. With that in mind...
According to my sources, the restaurants to attempt to get a reservation for is... (pretty much anywhere, of course) with a few maybe more so than others. But the ones most likely to capture the attention of the rich and famous?
- St. Elmo Steakhouse-(127 S. Illinois St.) The world famous shrimp cocktail draws the celebs from, well, around the world to prove they can handle the heat.
- Fogo de Chao-(117 E. Washington St.) Delicious meat, lots of delicious, hand-carved meat, makes this a shoo-in as a favorite place for athletes (hint) and celebs alike.
- Shapiro's Delicatessen-(808 S. Meridian St.) Another world-famous eatery has produced sandwiches, including the locals' must-try Reuben sandwich since 1905.
|St. Elmo-Shrimp Cocktail Izzy Evans|
Where will they shop? Naturally, the Circle Centre Mall will have its share of the famous out-of-towners. But those in the know, and those who have asked their hotel concierge, will probably trek over to Massachusetts Avenue, aka Mass Ave. for boutique, eclectic shopping., including Silver in the City, Mass Ave Wine Shoppe and Mass Ave Toys.
After all, athletes, performing artists, and celebrities of all sorts need to stay in shape for a variety of reasons. With the hotels packed full, and the (hopefully) continued beautiful weather, many will opt out. Outside, that is, for walking, running and bicycling opportunities. Where will they go to walk off the calories and stretch their muscles?
- The Canal-With arguably the city's most beautiful scenery, paddle boats and walkways, this three-mile popular spot at White River State Park is the perfect place to go for exercise.
- YMCA-Located at the Athenaeum, the "Y" offers plenty of treadmills and free weights withing walking distance of most of the hotels.
- IntoSalsa-Many celebrities keep in shape by dancing their pounds away. Latin dances are taught at this studio, located just above another local favorite, Acapulco Joe's.
|The Canal at White River State Park Image/IzzyEvans|
Meg Ryan, Jimmy Fallon, Peyton Manning, and Tony Dungy have already been spotted. Wherever you go, for the remainder of Super Bowl 46 week, keep your camera ready for the next celeb sighting.
Elizabeth J. Musgrave is a syndicated columnist, travel writer, performing arts and restaurant critic. Catch her as Indy’s Arts & Entertainment Adviser on 93 WIBC, and follow her on Twitter @GottaGo and Facebook. Gotta Go is published in M magazine and the following newspapers: South Sider Voice, Indiana Weekender, New Palestine Reporter, Pendleton Times Reporter and Fortville-McCordsville Reporter.