Ticket holders visiting the nine wineries on the Indiana Uplands Wine Trail from Nov. 15 through Dec. 31 receive a gold ornament with each winery's logo as well as a grapevine wreath to display their treasures for a special holiday memento of their travels. Tickets cost $35 per person and are available on-line at UplandsHolidayTickets or at any Uplands winery.
In France, the third Thursday of November marks the day when the first young Beaujolais wines vinted from the current year’s grapes are released with much fanfare to celebrate the harvest. Many of the Uplands’ wineries will likewise be celebrating the tradition by introducing a new wine or a new vintage for tasting that weekend including the following:
· Winzerwald Winery-will offer a new Lieblich, a semi-sweet blend of Riesling, Gewurztraminer and Vidal Blanc
· Butler Winery-will be releasing their new semi-sweet Traminette.
· Carousel Winery-will release its popular Winter Jewel, a mix of Raspberry and Cranberry wines.
· French Lick Winery-will debut a new dry red wine, Noiret.
· Turtle Run Winery-will have a new 2012 Chambourcin.
· Best Vineyards-will release a Chambourcin wine called Nouveau 2012 vinted in the traditional French Nouveau style.
· Huber’s Orchard and Vineyard-will once again have its Pop's Reserve Nouveau.
In addition to tasting new holiday releases and collecting holiday ornaments, make sure to also pick up a Passport to the Wine Trail at the first winery. After visiting all nine the last winery will present you with one slate cheese serving tray per passport just in time for those holiday celebrations. Each participant that completes the passport will also be entered into a grand prize drawing which will be held at the 2013 Vintage Indiana Wine Festival in Indianapolis in June.
Elizabeth J. Musgrave is a syndicated fine-living, travel columnist, freelance writer, and performing arts and restaurant critic for Gotta Go. Read Infused, at GottaGo.us and FoodandDrinkDigital.com and catch her as Indy’s Entertainment Adviser on 93 WIBC. Gotta Go is published on Gottago.us, BroadwayWorld.com, in magazines and several Indianapolis area newspapers. Follow her on Twitter @GottaGo, LinkedIn and Facebook.