Sunday, July 25

Brickyard 400 2010

I've always been one to learn from my mistakes. Okay, not always.

But I did learn from my O'Reilly Raceway Park incident and I did not wear my 4-inch heels to my first outing to the Brickyard 400 at Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

Smart move.

If you've never been to the NASCAR race at the famous track in Speedway, Indiana, take my advice. You should. At least once.

Since you probably have already heard who won the race, not my guy No. 33 Clint Bowyer, who won the most money and who crashed, I'm going to tell you about the other activities.

With a family friendly game area for kids and a beach area for kids of all ages, the racetrack has made it an all-day event. Coolers full of food and cold drinks, shorts, sandals, beach balls and sunscreen kept everyone in a festive mood throughout the hot, humid day.

Besides the normal fair-style food, live music and events over by Turn 3, there was something I've never seen before or even heard about. It's one of those you've-gotta-see-it-to-believe-it kind of things.

People kissing bricks.

Seriously.

No, not the winner's obligatory lipsmacking session at the winning line.

Regular people, bending over and playing kissey-face with the brick line outside the Pagoda. Quite a popular past-time it seems. Local and out-of-towners were getting their pictures taken bent over, tush in the air (ZZ Top would have been delighted) getting friendly with the walkway.

So, I took a few photos of my own, including John Davidson and soon-to-be son-in-law Jim Cooper.

Did I kiss the bricks? Well, I always did like trying out new experiences.

So.....

Maybe next year...if Clint Bowyer wins.

Elizabeth J. Musgrave is a syndicated columnist, travel writer and theater critic. You can catch her on WIBC Saturday mornings as Indy's Arts & Entertainment Adviser and follow her on Facebook, Twitter and at gottago.us. Comments can be sent to elizabeth@gottago.us.

Gotta Go is published in the following newspapers: South Sider Voice, West Side Community News, West Indianapolis News, Pendleton Times-Reporter, New Palestine Reporter and Fortville Reporter.

No comments: