Wednesday, August 22

Infused: Review Volere Wine in a Purse

I was asked to review a wine.

Wine in a purse to be exact.

As a wine drinker, and fan of cool purses, I was intrigued.

The Volere box arrived and I found inside a sassy red handbag made of recyclable materials filled with a Merlot-Pinot Noir blend. Hmmm... compact size, cute container and disposable without guilt. All pluses so far.

Volére is the carry-with-you boxed, ahem... purse line of three artisan wines: Pinot Grigio (Tan/white purse), Merlot/Pinot Noir (Red purse) and Rosé (Pink/white purse). Price point is $14.99. The wine producer is Cantina di Soave from Italy’s Veneto region. Price is comparable with box wines and the packaging lands squarely in the omg-that's-so-cute, I-must-have department. 

Each purse holds 1.5 liters (two bottles worth) of the Italian wine making it very user friendly. No more lugging two clinking glass bottles and an opener, and no more worry about dispensing of breakable glass. Nice. Okay, but how does it taste? Because no matter how adorable, how efficient (great compact size for two bottles' worth) and how affordable it is, if its taste gets it thrown away with most of the wine still inside, it's a no-go anywhere wine.

The label on the Merlot/Pinot Noir blend describes it as "silky, vibrant red with delightful notes of red berry, cherry and currant, with a hint of vanilla."
Definitely the berry/cherry was present and that hint of vanilla was exactly that. A hint. Not overpowering, not even strong. This bright, delightful (yes, they described it accurately) Italian blend perfectly matches its exterior. Sassy, playful and flirty.

This is a fun wine. If you give it even 30 seconds worth of thought, you have over thought the situation. It isn't meant to be discovered, allowed to breathe or contemplated ~ simply enjoyed.

Food pairings? Again, simple is the solution. Salmon or tuna, and cheeses such as asiago, brie, gouda pair nicely to keep it light.
As I mention in this early review (click to read) the central part of wine enjoyment is food pairing; however, that wine connects with other factors to create an entire experience. Drinking wine while overlooking a lake is a different experience than that same wine being enjoyed while snuggling in front of a fireplace.

Music also plays a role along with the food, wine and atmosphere, detracting or enhancing the mood and experience as well. Match it all the way through for success.

My motto: Wine + food + environment + music = great experience.

My choice of music: For this wine, with an outdoor-grilled, or picnic-like light meal, I would select conversation-friendly music as you will undoubtedly be sharing this with your friends on a deck, boat or at that favorite amphitheatre. You can't go wrong with 80s music such as Cyndi Lauper or Cher, or any decade's pop music. Nothing heavy, depressing or too straight-laced for this flirty red.

Would I serve this to a Master Sommelier? Not a chance. But there are fewer than 200 of them in the world. Would I serve it to a wine snob? No way. But I would serve it to my friends in a heartbeat.

Bottom Line: Volere "wine in purse" is fun, fashionable and flirty in taste, and perfect in size for a few friends. I anticipate a line of attache-case wines in the near future for those larger parties.

Images and sample supplied by Cantina di Soave Vineyards.

Elizabeth J. Musgrave is a syndicated fine-living, travel columnist, freelance writer, and performing arts and restaurant critic. Read her new column, Infused, at GottaGo.us and FoodandDrinkDigital.com and catch her as Indy’s Entertainment Adviser on 93 WIBC. Gotta Go is published on Gottago.us, BroadwayWorld.com, in M and Retired Living magazines and several Indianapolis area newspapers. Follow her on Twitter @GottaGo, LinkedIn and Facebook.

3 comments:

Jennifer Campaniolo said...

Hello,

Just wanted to share my experience with this wine. I found it in a big liquor store on Cape Cod and just like you, when I saw the cute purse packaging I thought, gotta have that! I love bags. But when I tasted the wine (I got Pinot Grigio, the "tan purse") I was very disappointed. I didn't expect a fantastic wine, but I hoped for something modestly good. It tastes like apple juice that has gone bad. It's awful. I am curious if the other varietals, like the Rose, are better, but frankly I'm afraid to chance it! Oh well, that's what I get for being taken in by cute packaging!

Thanks for the post.

Jennifer

Elizabeth J. Musgrave said...

Hi Jennifer,
Thanks for sharing. I completely agree with you about the white. The rose I have not tried. The red I found good enough to have fun with and it makes a cute gift, but, as I put in the review, it is not to be taken seriously and I would never give it to a true wine person.

I attempted to write a piece on box wines, but could not get past the first two ~ bleck. I am not sure I even want to attempt the single serving, cute wines available these days. Please let me know if you find any modern packaging wines that make the grade!

Jennifer Smoak said...

The purse IS darling - the Pinot Grigio was a disapointment. Purchased during a girls' weekend trip at a quaint wine & cheese shop, I did not have unrealistic expectations considering the $14.99 price. However, this wine even has an unpleasant aroma and is off-color, in my opinion. I can't speak to the quality of other Volere purse wines as I have not tried them.